Vitamin D is a steroid vitamin, a group of fat-soluble pro-hormones, which encourages the absorption and metabolism of calcium and phosphorous. People who are exposed to normal quantities of sunlight do not need vitamin D supplements because sunlight promotes sufficient vitamin D synthesis in the skin.
Benefits of Vitamin D
- Helps our bodies absorb calcium and phosphorus
- Boosts our immune system
- Keeps our brain strong as we age
- Helps maintain body weight
- Reduces asthma symptoms
- Reduces risk of Rheumatoid Arthritis in women
- Decreases risk of heart disease
Exposure to the sun twice a day for 15 minutes helps your body produce vitamin D naturally. During the winter months or if you unable to get enough sunlight, you can use supplements and eat foods high in vitamin D.
Food High in Vitamin D
- Egg yolks
- Beef Liver
- Fish (salmon, mackeral, fish liver oil)