Pumpkin is the star of Fall and Fall holidays, but we should really consider adding pumpkin to our daily diets. It can be added to a variety of recipes from sweet to savory.
- High in Fiber – Adding pumpkin to our diet aids in digestion, prevents constipation and helps us absorb nutrients
- Immunity – Pumpkin is high in iron which helps you maintain a strong immune system and prevent illness
- Disease Prevention – The same chemicals that give pumpkin its rich orange color can also help us prevent disease and maintain a healthy heart.
Add pumpkin to your diet by using it in puree form. In puree form pumpkin can be added to soups, stews and sauces without changing the flavor. It can also be added to muffin and bread recipes to use less oil. And of course spiced up in baked goods and oatmeal for a yummy Fall treat high in fiber.
By Fiona Haynes, About.com Guide
- 2 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp raisins
- Brown sugar to taste