Smoothies are a great way to nourish and energize your body. When you make your next one try adding one of these ingredients to supercharge your smoothie and your body. Ingredients like broccoli are rich in vitamins and can be added to your smoothie without altering the flavor.
This colorful nutritious smoothie recipe adds flax seeds which promotes bone health, lowers cholesterol, and keeps your digestive system healthy. Enjoy!
Get Your Orange Flax Smoothie
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
This bright orange smoothie gets its color from frozen peaches plus carrot and orange juice. Fresh ginger packs a flavorful punch.
Makes: About 3 cups for 2, 1 1/2-cup servings
- 2 cups frozen peach slices
- 1 cup carrot juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- Combine peaches, carrot juice, orange juice, flaxseed and ginger in blender; blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
TIPS & NOTES
- Tip: Look for ground flaxseeds (or flaxmeal) in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or in natural-foods stores. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Per serving: 209 calories; 4 g fat ( 0 g sat , 1 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 6 g fiber; 38 mg sodium; 964 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (467% daily value), Vitamin C (137% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Magnesium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat